Austrailians Turning to A Rehab in Thailand for Treatment
Known as a land rich in flavour, culture, and charm, Thailand is a holiday hotspot for Austrailian families and a rite of passage for newly graduated students. Over the last decade or so, the country has quickly become recognised for its medical care, and in 2019, it was named as the 6th best place in the world to receive medical treatment. Another notable feature Thailand is recognised for is its drug and alcohol rehabilitation centres.
Typically foriegn owned, rehabs in Thailand have an increasing number of Austrailians who are seeking drug treatment overseas. According to patients and doctors, Australia has a long waiting list to receive treatment from the public health system. Furthermore, it is a system that, some say, has failed its citizens in need of rehabilitation. It should also be noted that local Austrailian private rehabs tend to be out of reach for most addicts, with an average monthly price of $20,000 – $30,000.
To an addict, waiting to go to rehab is not ideal. When anyone is ready for help, it is prudent they get it as quickly as possible. For this reason, many Austrailians are turning to rehabs in Thailand for assistance.
Why Austrailian Drug and Alcohol Rehabs May Not Be Ideal
- Too close to home
- Limited or lack of services (particularly in rural areas)
- Long waiting times
- Limited treatment in the public health sector
- High costs for private care
In addition to the aforementioned, it is certainly possible for a person to feel more comfortable going to a rehab in Thailand because they don’t have an understanding, albeit an ability, to access popular Aussie drugs like meth, heroin, or cocaine. In other words, in a familiar environment, a person can feed their cravings easier than an environment that is completely new.
At Siam Rehab, our four week programme costs up to a third less than programmes in Australia. There are no waiting times, and the location is in an environment conducive to a health recovery. A majority of Austrailians who seek treatment at our Thailand rehab have an addiction to methamphetamine, alcohol, or prescription medications. Many come from Adeliaid and Perth followed by Sydney and Melbourne. Most are males in their late 20s to mid 40s and spend an average of 2 months at our Chiang Rai treatment centre.
Austrailias' Addiction Epidemic
Between 2016 and 2017, the Austrailian federal government pledged $600 million to tackle methamphetamine use and addiction; however, many experts agree that this is not enough. Up to 17 % of the population consume alcohol at dangerous levels and 35 % of hospital visits for drug treatment related issues were attributed to alcohol. Nearly one million Austrailians abuse a pharmaceutical drug each year, yet there is little being done about it. While the federal government was praised for their approach to addressing ICE use in Australia, it should be viewed as more of a base to build and grow upon rather than the final answer.
Holiday and Rehab
In Australia, addiction treatment is available; however, for many men and women, going overseas for help is a better solution. Rehabs in Thailand are not much different than a cosmetic surgery hospital in Thailand; of which thousands of Aussies head to every year. The facilities are up to par with Western standards and tend to feature a “resort-like” service that is affordable and accessible. For patients at Siam Rehab, most find their stay to be akin to a medical holiday.
Benefits of Getting Treatment at a Rehab in Thailand
If you are in Australia and looking for a rehab overseas, but are unsure whether or not going abroad will be right for you, consider the following benefits.
- Your stay will be confidential and private. No one has to know that you are going to rehab if you don’t want them to know.
- The cost of a rehab in Thailand is much less than those in Australia or other western countries, yet the standard of care is of a high quality.
- Round trip flights from Australia to Thailand are short and relatively inexpensive.
- You can get a 30 day visa on arrival or a longer visa at your nearest consulate or embassy (online visas will be available in the near future).
- You will be treated with a unique, effective blend of western and eastern philosophies.
- All clinical staff speak English and have been trained abroad.
- It may be possible to ask your insurance company to reimburse you.
- There are little, if any, wait times.
- You’ll gain access to a strong community who is also in recovery.
- Rehabs in Thailand provide comfortable, private accommodation.
- You’ll get the chance to recover in a natural, peaceful setting.
- By going to rehab abroad, you remove yourself from people, places, and things that may cause you stress and a relapse.
- You disconnect completely from your environment, culture, and surroundings.
- Being in a new place can instill new senses of excitement and happiness; both of which are conducive to a healthy recovery.
If you are looking for an Australian addiction treatment centre, and have not found the right one, consider going to rehab in Thailand. Call Siam Rehab to explore your options in further detail.